Do it Yourself‎ > ‎

Drivers licenses

Drivers licenses do not have a gender marker on them but gender is recorded in the license database and is visible to people who run checks on your license e.g. police. 
Your drivers licence can be M,F or I.

Changing your gender in the database is free. You just need to complete a statutory declaration.

If you wish to change the photo or name that appears on your drivers license then you will need to pay for a new license. This costs $20.10 for a renewal or more if you are applying for the first time.  

What if I am under 18 years old?
You must be 16 years old to apply for a licence. There does not appear to be an age limit for changing your gender in NZTA's database. So you should be able to record your correct gender from when you are old enough to get a licence. 

How do I do the statutory declaration?
Fill in this declaration. You will need to sign it in front of a Justice of the Peace, Registrar or Solicitor. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can direct you to your nearest available witness.

All you should need to declare is your current gender identity and the gender marker you wish to appear on your license. If you are concerned you could add additional information regarding medical or social steps you have taken - but this should not be necessary.

What you will need to apply for a new license or license renewal?
  • To fill in the NZTA form.
  • If you already have a drivers license - your license number
  • If you want to update your name - proof of name change
  • If you are older than 75, have a medical condition that could effect your driving or are applying for a Class 2,3,4 or 5 licence you will need a medical certificate.
  • Your glasses or contact lenses if you wear them
  • Proof of identity
     One of these; or New Zealand passport; or
    New Zealand photo drivers license that is current or expired within the last 2 years.
     Two other forms of identity e.g.Birth certificate and student ID; or
    Birth certificate and 18+ card; or
    Birth certificate and bank statement.
    For more information on acceptable identity documents see here.

    If you provide proof of identity that doesn't have your photo on it you will need to have a friend act as an identity reference and fill in this form.

What if my old license or photo ID has a picture which doesn't match my current appearance?
The NZTA should not take issue with this but if they do - ask to speak with a manager. The Human Rights Act 1993 guarantees you the right to not be discriminated against. This means that you should not be asked for a higher level of proof of identity than any other person. 

If speaking to a manager doesn't help consider talking to your local Community law centre or other support agencies who may be able to advocate on your behalf.